From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 16:46:48
1 On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 22:03:41 +1300
2 Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 11:03:19 +0300
5 > Alexander Tsoy <alexander@××××.me> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Binary distros usually have separate repositories for each
8 > > architecture.
9 >
10 > One aspect: They don't have a package database that's a collection of
11 > bash scripts that have to be routinely executed.
12 >
13 > And they also don't have USE flags to complicate dependency analysis.
14 >
15 > So their user-side interface can handle this "Can't satisfy dependency"
16 > situation much more quickly. ( I have no recollection of apt taking
17 > more than a few seconds to work out what it needs to do, or throwing an
18 > error )
19
20 They also split out their packages a lot more than we do.
23 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
24 Gentoo Linux Developer