From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/freetype: freetype-2.4.11-r1.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:18:22
1 On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:08:45 +0100
2 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Alexis Ballier schrieb:
5 > > On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:10:30 +0100
6 > > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> The other thing is:
9 > >> We still have the conflict with eclass-solution vs PM-solution
10 > >> (multilib-portage) and I propose not to convert ANYTHING else until
11 > >> that conflict is solved, even if it means a council vote (that's what
12 > >> I actually think makes sense here).
13 > >> I understand both sides and somehow find it appealing to have a
14 > >> quicker solution, but since this could damage years of work on a
15 > >> portage fork I think we should slow down here.
16 > >
17 > > except there _has_ been a discussion:
18 > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/80330
19 > >
20 > > where, at least for me, it appeared that the eclass solution was the
21 > > right way and portage-multilib had its defects that could not be solved
22 > > without such an eclass solution.
23 > > Long story short: portage-multilib does not handle deps needing
24 > > multilib and deps not needing them. Only packages maintainers know
25 > > that, you cannot guess it at the PM level. Doing unpack twice, while
26 > > bearable, is also suboptimal. portage-multilib already disables its
27 > > multilib support for multilib-enabled packages, thus there is not even
28 > > a conflict there.
29 >
30 > So you discussed with mgorny (who does not like multilib-portage) and
31 > not me and then assume that all details have been written in there? :-)
32
33 You're making this more and more confusing. I don't know if you're
34 doing that intentionally or by accident but please try to make it
35 clearer what multilib-portage can and cannot do rather than keeping it
36 all blurry.
37
38 > > On the other hand, Michal has been doing the work and got things done
39 > > when portage-multilib has never reached mainline after several years
40 > > of development. So, while breaking the tree like the freetype case is
41 > > really bad, please do not use this for killing his efforts, esp. when
42 > > it is now masked.
43 >
44 > If you did not know it: anyone can add an eclass, while adding new
45 > features via package manager requires a new EAPI.
46 > I have written about it on this list for many months, if not years. And
47 > every time i solved a request, a new one was raised. And you want to
48 > blaim me for multilib-portage not reaching the main tree?
49
50 You told me yesterday that so far you haven't even listed all
51 the details on how multilib-portage works on the ml. Do you expect us
52 to accept the feature without even having it explained first?
53
54 > I just see issues the way a work-in-progress is pushed into the main
55 > tree without prior discussion and additional hacks for issues (freetype
56 > headers) forcing other devs to do more work instead of asking for
57 > another solution not needing any additional work for depending packages.
58
59 Believe it or not, this is a proper solution. Hacking it around does
60 not fix the actual issues.
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny