From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] installing portage in another directory structure
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:51:39
1 On Tuesday 20 May 2003 13:46, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 20 May 2003 22:30, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > No, I was more thinking in the direction of /etc and other such locations.
4 > Many packages are hardcoded to install in /usr with the config in /etc . Of
5 > course there are also enough packages that use econf (and so would be
6 > easier to change).
7 Well, then I guess you mention of /usr/portage in the original email was
8 misleading, as everybody interpreted your question as related to moving
9 PORTDIR and other related stuff.
10
11 The issue of installing packages under different (tunable) location has been
12 discussed (It's been few month already since the last one I think). The
13 conclusion was that it is too much hassle for no clear benefit.
14 The hassle comes from the fact that many packages have somehow defficient
15 Makefile's which have to be patched, configure' not recognizing "standard"
16 options, etc (making it impossible to simply script through existing
17 packages). More inportant is the requirement to stay FHS compliant to the
18 extent possible.
19 This issue might be reconsidered at some point, but I don't expect that this
20 will ahppen any time soon (there are numerous more important issues on a
21 present todo list).
22
23 George
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list