From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 21:25:18
1 On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 05:17:07PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2013 03:23 PM, Greg KH wrote:
3 > >On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:45:16PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
4 > >>>>Q: What about my stable server? I really don't want to run this
5 > >>>>stuff!
6 > >>>>
7 > >>>>A: These options would depend on !CONFIG_VANILLA or
8 > >>>>CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
9 > >>>What is CONFIG_VANILLA? I don't see that in the upstream kernel tree
10 > >>>at all.
11 > >>>
12 > >>>CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL is now gone from upstream, so you are going to
13 > >>>have a problem with this.
14 > >>Earlier I mentioned "2) These feature should depend on a non-vanilla /
15 > >>experimental option." which is an option we would introduce under the
16 > >>Gentoo distribution menu section.
17 > >Distro-specific config options, great :(
18 >
19 > I'm not sure what you mean by "distro-specific",
20
21 See later mention of CONFIG_GENTOO_EXPERIMENTAL, that is what I was
22 referring to.
23
24 > but suppose people
25 > want BFQ? Why can't we have it in gentoo-sources. It is totally
26 > disabled by not selecting CONFIG_BFQ. Selecting it is no different
27 > than emerging pf-sources with the same other options ported over.
28
29 Until you run into a patch that modifies code outside of it's CONFIG_
30 option, like the aufs example I pointed out.
31
32 > By your logic, we should not distribut pf-sources either. The truth
33 > of the matter is, there are forks of the vanilla kernel out there. Are
34 > you suggesting we distribute none of them?
35
36 That's a total false argument, the discussion here is about our "main"
37 gentoo-kernel tree, not one of our many domain-specific kernel versions
38 that are maintained separately.
39
40 > NOTE: hardened-sources is its own world. There is not level of
41 > turning on/off options that get you back to a vanilla kernel.
42
43 Agreed, which keeps that from being merged into this tree, hopefully :)
44
45 thanks,
46
47 greg k-h