From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CONFIG_PROTECT and ROOT!='/'
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 03:35:58
1 maillog: 15/03/2005-21:17:26(-0600): Brian Harring types
2 > On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:05:43AM +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
3 > > maillog: 15/03/2005-12:01:47(-0600): Brian Jackson types
4 > > > On 10:14:14 am 2005-03-15 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net> wrote:
5 > > > > maillog: 15/03/2005-08:26:49(-0600): Brian Jackson types
6 > > > > > I have a bug filed for that too, but it's probably going to be a
7 > > > > > while before it's fixed. From what I've been told, it's not
8 > > > > > trivial to fix it because some of the config stuff isn't very
9 > > > > > well abstracted.
10 > > > >
11 > > > > It isn't? Are we talking about the same thing? After all, the
12 > > > > locations are just variables, that only need to be prefixed with
13 > > > > something. Could we get some input from whoever told you this?
14 > > >
15 > > > make.conf is easy. The profile isn't as easy. /etc/portage isn't easy
16 > > > at all. That's the basics. You'd have to ask the portage guys for more
17 > > > in depth info.
18 > >
19 > > I was hoping to get a response from them here. Portage guys, you there?
20 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/portage/pym/config.py?root=gentoo-src
21 > ^^^^ config class, cleaned up a bit from what stable has.
22 >
23 > At the moment, my focus on the bugger is the following-
24 > A) integration of env whitelist tracking, preferably in a an attached
25 > instance (the need for this is partially bound to covering
26 > filter-env's ass).
27 > B) either reorganize the beast so env stuff is accessible via an
28 > attribute, or create a container class that the config gets
29 > assigned into
30 > C) bind all tree instances to the config. Why? Kill off portage.db
31 > global usage entirely, and try and encapsulate data into one
32 > common, passable instance
33 > D) shift virtual loading, setcpv, setinst, load_infodir, etc, all out
34 > of config and to a proper class.
35 >
36 > So... why tack that stuff in now, when the class itself needs a major
37 > enema? :)
38 >
39 > Basically it comes down to a focus (at this point) in trying to
40 > improve the existing code/abstractions in use, rather then tacking
41 > more features/codepaths in.
42 >
43 > Anyone interested can take a crack at the request above, it's just not
44 > high on my peronsal (likely our) list of priorities, since the
45 > existing code is spaghetti like.
46 >
47 > Note that integration of env whitelisting *is* adding a new feature
48 > in. It's kind of required to keep things sane for the env handling
49 > though (mainly, a few very crazy var settings are *very* hard to
50 > properly filter). That and it can't be done without refactoring the
51 > config class anyways (which is intended)...
52
53 Well, I never intended to rush things... bug #52415 has been open for
54 almost an year after all, and at least the config protection seems to be
55 more of a bug than a problem with the implementation (as I had posted in
56 a comment on the bug, $ROOT/etc/somefile is being checked against a list
57 that is not prefixed with a $ROOT).
58
59 The issue with the alternate configuration location is only a matter of
60 convenience, since it can be worked around with a couple of symlinks.
61 As your hands are full with other stuff, I'd only hope you keep the
62 request in mind. Maybe even post a note when you guys unknot the
63 spaghetti?
66 ( Georgi Georgiev ( I went to a Grateful Dead Concert and they (
67 ) chutz@×××.net ) played for SEVEN hours. Great song. -- Fred )
68 ( +81(90)6266-1163 ( Reuss (
69 --
70 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list