From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] general questions and thoughts on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:30:02
1 On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 09:54, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
4 > When using portage, it's often the case that I know the name of the
5 > package I want to install, but not what category it lives in. Under
6 > debian, for example, I could say "apt-get install zsh" to install
7 > zsh, whereas in gentoo, I seem to have to remember that zsh lives in
8 > app-shells. This seems unnecessarily inconvenient, since it would
9 > only be an issue if the same package name were used by more than one
10 > package in more than one group.
11 pkgsearch <foo>
12 will return <category>/<foo> for you.
13 It is found in /usr/lib/portage/bin
14
15 > Another thing I kind of miss from other package systems is the
16 > ability to know *before* I download a package what files it will
17 > install. The Mandrake, Debian, and FreeBSD ports collection provide
18 > this information in various forms, which I've gotten used to, but
19 > the /usr/portage hierarchy doesn't seem to store it anywhere.
20 knowing before hand would be a little tough, because what is installed
21 can be dependent on *your* personal USE settings. After install you can
22 find this info in /var/db/pkg/<category>/<foo>/CONTENTS
23
24 > There are a few utilities which seem to be lacking, but which it
25 > would appear to be trivial to add. Something like RPM's "rpm -qf
26 > <file>" facility to find out which package "owns" a particular file
27 > would be useful. This information is in the /var/db/pkg hierarchy,
28 > so some kind of 'find&grep' method is all that's needed.
29
30 Like the other replies have said, emerge app-admin/gentoolkit
31 will give you several convenient scripts including qpkg, epm, and
32 etc-update.
33
34 > I've noticed that much of the "guts" of portage is written in
35 > Python, which is a language I deeply respect and which certainly
36 > makes sense for this kind of application, but which is not my
37 > personal preference as a scripting language. However, it looks as
38 > though all the Python code is confined to /usr/lib/portage; none of
39 > the actual .ebuild scripts use Python. Is this a deliberate choice,
40 > and if so, does this leave the door open for people wishing to
41 > access portage from other languages, such as Ruby or Scheme?
42
43 Unless, you want to hack the guts of portage, python coding isn't
44 necessary. Ebuilds are bash with the addition of convenient bash helper
45 scripts found in /usr/lib/portage/bin and are designed to be not very
46 different from a typical ./configure, make, make install sequence for a
47 manual installation from source.
48 >
49 > Finally, given that Gentoo is designed to be compiled from source at
50 > install means that it should be fairly portable to other
51 > architectures. Has anyone tried installing Gentoo on a non-i386
52 > architecture? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot on my PPC-based
53 > iBook (currently running YellowDog 2.1).
54
55 There have been rumors of a successful port to ppc on #gentoo.
56 Package patching was required, IIRC
57
58 TheMadHatter where are you!?!??!
59