From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 05:58:57
1 On Wed, May 10, 2017, at 00:07 CDT, Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I just want to make sure im understanding this right, only .a files that
4 > were compiled without -pie will cause issues if you compile the later
5 > thing that uses the .a with -pie?
6 > So:
7 > 1) people on hardened profiles are going to be fine no matter what?
8
9 Yes.
10
11 > 2) only packages that have .a files need to be rebuild? (not -e @world)?
12
13 Essentially yes. (There might be one or two additional catches for
14 languages with special linkage/libraries. For example, haskell packages
15 have to force -no-pie - which they already do :-])
16
17 > 3) .a are static libs for compiling static binaries right, so nothing
18 > will break at runtime from the change? only build failures?
19
20 Yes.
21
22 > I definitley think everyone on gentoo should have PIE and SSP by default
23 > nowadays. Whats the status of -zrelro -znow on non-hardened?
24
25 The essential difference between non-hardened and hardened is additional
26
27 -fstack-protector-all -fstrict_overflow -znow
28
29 on hardened.
30
31 > This might be the kind of thing where a new set of profiles is a good
32 > idea
33 > 1) hardened would force the flags on,
34 > 2) 13.0 non-hardened would force them off
35 > 3) 17.0 non-hardened would force them on and people have to rebuild when
36 > they change profiles
37
38 *mhm* A profile update would also be an idea.
39
40 > Im not sure how the timing of the new profile would work? only make them
41 > once gcc-6 is stable so everyone does it at once?
44 Best,
45 Matthias