From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 01:27:03
1 David Leverton posted on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:39:39 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Also, not every piece of software that people might want to use is going
4 > to go into the main tree - people can use Gentoo to develop their own
5 > software (and might have their own ideas (or their company/project's
6 > ideas) about what parts of libtool it's appropriate to rely on), use
7 > packages from overlays, compile other people's software outside the
8 > package management system, run precompiled binaries, etc. Again, from
9 > here I'm sure you can have a big discussion about whether libraries in
10 > the tree exist only to support applications in the tree, or whether
11 > they're "products" (for want of a better word) in their own right.
12
13 The problem is that "in-tree" is a reasonably bounded set of builds, while
14 "out-of-tree" is unlimited. Practically speaking, I simply don't see how
15 Gentoo can be concerned with "out-of-tree" in general, altho there's
16 arguably a case that could be made for drawing the line /somewhat/ wider,
17 say including official overlays as well, but even that very quickly
18 becomes problematic as you're now expecting every dev with a candidate
19 package to be familiar with every overlay it might affect.
20
21 No offense intended, and you do sort of make the point yourself with the
22 "minor issue" thing, but arguably, this would be an /appropriate/ use of
23 flameeyes' "people opposed are simply throwing up illegitimate blockages"
24 complaint (where the binpkgs point wasn't, because that has long been a
25 supported feature of Gentoo's primary PM and while breaking it may indeed
26 be necessary, it's a legitimate point to raise).
27
28 OTOH, you do rightfully call it a minor point, perhaps one that shouldn't
29 be a blocker, but one that should at least be raised. Raising the point,
30 minor and non-block tho it may be, in the discussion of record is a /good/
31 thing. But I don't see how it's practical to do more than simply
32 acknowledge it and say we can't let that block it (... except).
33
34 EXCEPT that the centralized controlling variable solution, via a removal
35 method in EUTILS or the like, DOES make sense for any of a number of
36 reasons, including that (a) centralizing the implementation is a good idea
37 anyway, (b) once centralized, the implementation cost of a controlling
38 variable is quite low, and (c), that makes it easy enough to control it
39 either per-package or globally, using existing environment control
40 solutions.
41
42 But beyond that, and for sub-package-level control, I simply don't see
43 that it's practical.
44
45 But luckily, the above seems to fit your request as-is. =:^) And as for
46 sub-package-level, individual maintainers are still free to do what they
47 believe is necessary with their packages, anyway. (And for some packages
48 and usages it /is/ arguably necessary.)
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman