From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-util/staruml-bin
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:35:30
1 On Sat, 2019-03-16 at 09:31 +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:23:00 +0100
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > # Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> (15 Mar 2019)
6 > > # Last reverse dependency of dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5* (#656378). Current
7 > > # version is outdated, maintainer is MIA and the new versions are
8 > > # in distro-unfriendly AppImage format (#661740).
9 > > # Removal in 30 days. Bug #677486.
10 > > dev-util/staruml-bin
11 > > =dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5*
12 >
13 > I don't care about staruml-bin but libgcrypt is one of those legacy
14 > libraries that would be helpful to keep around for older proprietary
15 > software that is not in the tree. In particular, it is used by
16 > Half-Life 2 and Portal, not exactly obscure games. It is included in
17 > the Steam runtime but we highly recommend against using that because it
18 > causes many issues.
19
20 I don't understand why would you want to run some proprietary native
21 executables requiring obsolete libraries on your system when HL2 works
22 perfectly via wine, and gets a nice performance boost via Gallium Nine.
23
24 > If you want me to maintain this version then I can do that. If it's
25 > otherwise causing real issues by being in the tree then I could move it
26 > to steam-overlay but I'd rather not. There may be non-Steam use cases.
27
28 Yeah, moving to Steam overlay is what I'd suggest. However, you want to
29 talk to crypto@ people since they flagged it for removal.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny