From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:43:22
1 Hello, fellow developers.
2
3 I'd like to note that the prune_libtool_files() in eutils.eclass has
4 a pretty specific dependency on pkg-config. Whenever it is used
5 in an ebuild, it should depend on virtual/pkgconfig if all
6 of the following conditions are met:
7
8 1. The ebuild installs at least a single static library with
9 a corresponding .la file,
10
11 2. the .la files has no 'shouldnotlink=yes' (i.e. is not a plugin),
12
13 3. the .la file has non-empty 'dependency_libs' and/or
14 'inherited_linker_flags',
15
16 4. the '--all' option is not being used.
17
18 In other words, pkg-config is only used when no other criteria allows
19 it to classify the particular .la file as suitable for removal or not.
20 Sadly, it's rather, ehm, unfriendly to ebuild developers who obviously
21 don't even read the relevant part.
22
23 Do you have any ideas how we can improve that?
24
25 One thing that comes into my mind is finally making pkgconfig
26 a required, implicit part of toolchain (or @system). Since we have
27 pkgconf now, this is more feasible than before.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny