From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 17:08:13
1 On Sun, 2 May 2004 19:04:16 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The performance issues are partially db-related, but the biggest
5 > "problem" is having to call bash. The current caching in portage is
6 > still stored in a file-based "database". The difference in access times
7 > of the portage database and the cache is that the cache files have a set
8 > format.
9
10 Most emerge commands, be it to sync the tree or perform a
11 package operation are very slow due to this bash handicap. On one of the
12 faster sparc32 machines you can get, I'm seeing the following for a
13 pretend emerge of a package with few dependencies to calculate;
14
15 reliant root # time emerge -pv dnsmasq
16
17 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
18
19 Calculating dependencies ...done!
20 [ebuild R ] net-dns/dnsmasq-2.5 0 kB
21
22 Total size of downloads: 0 kB
25 real 0m23.827s
26 user 0m21.750s
27 sys 0m1.310s
28
29 A good portion of this time doesn't even show any output from emerge at
30 all.
31
32 Cheers,
33 --