From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, games@g.o, qa@g.o, "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 07:33:40
1 >>>>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2014, Jonathan Callen wrote:
2
3 > On 07/08/2014 08:32 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> It certainly differs between distros. Debian generally uses
5 >> /usr/games and has a games group for score files. Fedora has chosen
6 >> to ignore the FHS and installs everything in /usr/bin. IIUC, they
7 >> also use an own group for each game if it needs to write shared
8 >> score files. [1]
9 >>
10 >> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.games/365
11
12 > Just to clarify, the current Gentoo policy is that game executables
13 > go in /usr/games/bin and libraries go in /usr/games/$(get_libdir).
14 > Debian policy follows FHS in that games binaries go directly in
15 > /usr/games and games libraries go in the same directory as other
16 > libraries.
17
18 I see. So Gentoo policy differs from FHS (and from other major
19 distros).
20
21 FHS also says that static data files should go in /usr/share/games,
22 whereas on my system I see both /usr/share/games and /usr/games/share.
23
24 Ulrich