From: Matt Rickard <frogger@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:06:30
1 > If were really talking about saving space on the livecd we could always
2 > replace vim with nVi. It has all the basic vi features in a lot smaller
3 > package.
4
5 I agree with this. I'd like to see nvi replace vim in the livecd/install
6 cd's. nvi is the vi clone used in the BSD systems by default, and looking at
7 a NetBSD install it comes in around 272 Kb. It supports all the basic vi
8 features and would save a significant amount of space.
9
10 I'd also like to see this in the stages as well so that it is available inside
11 the chroot, where most of the editing is done anyway.
12
13 > Plus in that extra space put a small emacs work-alike like qemacs.
14 > I don't use emacs but I always assumed that since we had Vi on the cd that
15 > Emacs was on the cd as well. It'd be good to have at least the the two most
16 > common editors on the cd or at least work-alikes.
17
18 I don't think this should be included, at least not in the basic install cd's.
19 Let's try to get this back closer to the 16 megs it used to be.
22 Matt Rickard
23 frogger@g.o
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list