From: Matthew Marlowe <mattm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo's Social Contract & Bugzilla
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:29:08
1 > > In the past, it's been more or less agreed that it's not depending
2 > > upon it if it uses an open data format... There was talk of moving the
3 > > forums to proprietary software at one point, for example.
4 >
5 > I see. Thanks for the clarification, Ciaran. (Though as an aside,
6 > I'd like to mention that it'd still be a bad idea to do so. :P)
7
8 I think my reply from a non-dev email address got eaten, so I'll reply again:
9
10 1) Jira can produce automated backups/exports of the database in XML format,
11 which means we can always write a tool to convert the data to a format
12 acceptable to any other bug mngmt software anytime we want.
13
14 2) It imports from bugzilla
15
16 3) Free license and apparently even some free support and infrastructure
17 management for open-source projects. Apparently, they donated one of the bug
18 db's that the apache software foundation is using, for instance.
19
20 See:
21 http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing.jsp#nonprofit
22 http://opensource.atlassian.com/
23
24 4) There is some nice functionality to integrate with cvs, subversion, etc if
25 we ever find a use for that.
26
27 However, I was just throwing out the jira stuff as an idea and my 2 cents
28 given the concerns about bugzilla. The current db running on myisam table
29 format is rather scary, given gentoo's size.
30
31 MattM
32 --
33 Matthew Marlowe (mattm@g.o)