From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removals reply
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:27:34
1 On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > I just ask that Gentoo should not *hinder* the user in installing/
3 > maintaining a package later by removing the tarballs (and possibly
4 > patches) which once were available.
5
6 So, I can see the validity of this argument insofar as it applies to
7 Gentoo-generated tarballs and such, like patchsets. These tend to be
8 hosted on dev webpages and such, and as a result they don't get any
9 kind of version control like files in cvs do.
10
11 Code that Gentoo creates should in general be revision-controlled.
12
13 Another class of code is distfile tarballs that we create. Some
14 packages have these because upstream does not have reliable source
15 tarball hosting. Maybe they only host binaries and an scm that does
16 not generate tarballs on demand. So, sometimes devs have to create
17 source tarballs and host them somewhere, and these also do not get
18 revision-controlled. I'm a bit torn on these because they are in fact
19 large files and they're only marginally Gentoo-created, but they
20 probably could never be recreated with a matching hash. If for
21 whatever reason space was no object and we did revision-control these
22 files we would need a mechanism to obliterate them entirely (or at
23 least block access) should a licensing issue be discovered. Patches
24 are something we could probably claim copyright or fair use over, but
25 entire source tarballs clearly require a license to redistribute.
26
27 I do have to agree with the earlier comment that Gentoo isn't a
28 software archiving service. I think we SHOULD archive the stuff we
29 create - if somebody wants to work on a better way of hosting patches
30 this is something Gentoo should support (via infra/etc), but of course
31 somebody has to step up and actually do that work, and it isn't
32 reasonable to ask treecleaners/QA/etc to leave things with broken
33 SRC_URIs in the tree until this is done. Broken SRC_URIs generate
34 logspam and no doubt headaches in general for those who graciously
35 maintain our mirrors.
36
37 As far as upstream tarballs go - if somebody wants to archive them by
38 all means do so, and patches for broken SRC_URIs that point to these
39 patches should be consider welcome provided the package has no other
40 serious flaws. However, maintaining an archive of tarballs for
41 anything we EVER packaged sounds like a lot of work, and not a small
42 amount of space/bandwidth/etc as well. Do we archive everything just
43 in case? Do we periodically scan stuff in our attic in case a package
44 we already removed has its sources disappear (and what do we even do
45 then since we don't mirror removed pacakges)? Why bother trying to
46 archive some distfiles if we don't archive all of them? This just
47 sounds like a big mess, and not really our core mission.
48
49 Rich