From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] give gentoo Linux
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:54:27
1 I agree with the choice of Mandrake for a beginner. Once you have that
2 under your belt, then you can start with gentoo. With gentoo you get a
3 very basic linux system (non-gui) with internet capability. On top of that
4 you can download and install packages from the gentoo portage system to add
5 gui capability (X, kde, gnome, xfce, etc.), print support(cups), etc. This
6 takes a lot of time and patience and help from other more experienced
7 users.
8
9 If you are not comfortable with doing a lot of searches on your own for
10 howto instructions about individual packages, you won't like gentoo at all.
11 If you are, you will find gentoo a wonderful learning experience.
14 On Mon, 28 May 2001 14:23:18 +0200 Sebastian Werner