From: Nico Amtsberg <niam@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Use-Flags cause XMMS, jed and other bloat
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:48:22
1 Hello everyone !
2
3 Here are a few of my thoughts about the portage system.
4 Pehaps you can tell me if something will be changed to my needs and to that
5 what I understand Gentoo wants to be as announced on their website.
6
7 If I have the X-Flag set, which is okay because I want X, and try to emerge
8 jed to have a good editor, Gentoo wants to compile the whole XFree-Package to
9 also get xjed which I didn't want.
10
11 It compiles X with all drivers - Sorcerer Linux asked, which X11-drivers are
12 needed.
13 Same with alsa - all card-drivers are made, I have to edit the ebuild-file and
14 all changes will be gone after the next emerge rsync.
15
16 As you see with XMMS and the complainments about the avi-plugin, especially
17 the Gentoo-user wants to have the power to control what is compiled and
18 installed.
19 And if I correctly understand the webpage then this is what Gentoo wants to
20 provide - but IMHO it doesn't at the moment.
21
22 Nico Amtsberg
23
24 Nonetheless a very good distribution