From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Linux Standard Base
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 13:56:24
1 On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 08:48:53PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 > Of course, choice is important. So whoever thinks RPMs are good for Gentoo
4 > can go ahead and modify Portage/emerge to support them. But people who still
5 > think actually compiling a package with the correct optimizations for you CPU
6 > is best <gasp> shouldn't be branded non-standard. (Or non-mainstream <gasp>).
7
8 Two notes: it's already possible to Gentoo Linux to generate RPMs instead of
9 .tbz2 files. I'm not really interested in this functionality but it's there.
10 The other thing is that the LSB requires that it's possible to *install* an
11 RPM3 package under Gentoo Linux, which of course it is. It doesn't mean you
12 need to use it as your default packaging format (that would be scary). I don't
13 like the LSB as much as the FHS, but we're going to try to be as compliant with
14 it as we can without compromising the quality and design philosophy of Gentoo
15 Linux.
16
17 Best Regards,
20 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>