From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 10:24:28
1 Hi All,
2
3 We run glibc based systems.  No musl.  But we don't use systemd.
4
5 As little as a year back we still ran into issues with systemd-udev
6 variant breaking systems, the fix of course was to nuke it and install
7 eudev.  Are we certain there is nothing (eg, LVM integration was our
8 biggest problem resulting in really crazy impossible to debug since we
9 can't log in due to lvn snapshot creation/removal deadlocking with
10 systemd-udev - no ask me not how, all I can tell you is that eudev never
11 exhibited this behaviour) will break?
12
13 Whilst I fully appreciate the difficult of all the various e* packages
14 (elogind, eudev etc ..) and I most certainly do not have the capacity to
15 maintain, and therefore I'm in full support of the concept of
16 deprecating eudev, I'm very, very worried about us suddenly being back
17 into the reboot-a-server-a-week scenario.  In the worst case we've lost
18 some large filesystems almost certainly due to systemd-udev (we've had a
19 number of filesystem crashes which was recovered with fsck, but after
20 ditching systemd-udev and moving to eudev about two years back on this
21 specific host we've had ZERO further problems other than a failed drive
22 or two, none of which required a hard-reset to get back to a sane state).
23
24 Kind Regards,
25 Jaco
26