From: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Setting up a server with Gentoo
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:15:04
1 Brave Cobra wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been writing article on setting up a server using Gentoo 1.4 for a
5 > windows Network. Basically it covers setting up DHCP, DNS, SAMBA, Apache
6 > and MySQL. Some other servers, like sendmail, CVS, OpenSSL Apache server
7 > and Squid will be included in the future.
8
9 Please pick something other than sendmail, especially if you are
10 targeting it at new comers. Postfix + procmail is a nice combo
11 (IMNSHO), others are qmail and courier (I use courier-imap too).
12
13 > The prelimenary article can be found at
14 > http://www.bravecobra.com/docs/setupserver.html
15 > That article is subject to change of course.
16 > However, before I publish it to the Wide Internet world, I would like
17 > some of you Gentoo experts to read it through and let me know whether I
18 > told something wrong or how I could explain something better to the
19 > newbies. Yes, it's intend to be a newbie guide.
20 > Any further help is much appreciated.
21
22 I notice that you are advocating dnsmasq because it is not as resource
23 intensive as BIND. I'm running bind on a P200 with apache-2.0 and a
24 heap of other crap, it does just fine.
25
26 The other advantage that you have with bind9 is the ability to do
27 dynamic dns updates on your local zone files when dhcp hands out a new
28 lease. This makes plug and network for you local lan really easy. Any
29 windows clients get a hostname based on the machine name, and it is
30 resolvable by other machines in the network.
31
32 If you want some sample zone and named.conf files let me know.
33
34 WRT the firewall, you say that your router does most of it for you.
35 Apart from the netfilter docs, point people to a freshmeat search for
36 iptables firewall scripts (there are hepas of them), I'll also plug one
37 that I have massaged from another script:
38 http://linux.tkdack.com/module.php?mod=firewall
39
40 With your mail server setup make sure that you include some sort of imap
41 server (and note the differences between mbox & maildir and which
42 servers use which). On a local lan it is really pointless having to pop
43 mail from the server. Another option (if the clients are going to be
44 Linux) is to have the home directories exported via nfs and the mail
45 storage be in the home dir, then the linux users can access their mail
46 with traditional clients and point the client at their home dir. I
47 don't know of any Windows programs that can do this, so they still need
48 a retrieval method.
49
50 Thanks for the Samba<->WinXP tip, I'll have to give it a try, I've been
51 trying to get WinXP to auth with my samba box for a while :)
52
53 The proxy-config.pac file is a nice inclusion.
54
55 Don't forget some comments regarding log files, setting up of sysklogd
56 (or your prefered log daemon), rotation of log files and regular
57 checking on log files.
60 Troy Dack
61 http://linux.tkdack.com http://webportage.sf.net
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list