From: Imran Sher Rafique <imran_lists1@×××××××.org>
To: seemant@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] yet another virtual question
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 02:42:23
1 Seemant,
2
3 I coming to this thread a little late, and forgive me if I am grasping the wrong
4 end of the stick, but I dont see what the problem is.
5
6 Whether the init.d scripts (or any other startup scripts) use bash or not, how
7 should this affect the users own choice of shell for interactive use? After all,
8 there is nothing in those scripts which carry over into the users interactive
9 environment - they are executed in a child process, not sourced.
10
11 Basically - install and use whatever shell you like. The most you would have to
12 do is translate /etc/profile.env into your own shell's lingo, if it came to that.
13
14 Secondly, as Stuart mentioned, we should never confuse /bin/sh with /bin/bash.
15 Even if the same executable ends up interpreting the script, the result is NOT
16 the same. Compare the output of the following 2 scripts:
17
18 #!/bin/sh
19 set -o
20
21 #!/bin/bash
22 set -o
23
24 FWIW, I think it's very sensible that Gentoo explicitly uses /bin/bash as the
25 shell of choice, rather than unnecessarily giving up functionality by shebanging
26 /bin/sh.
27
28 Regards,
29 Imran Sher Rafique