From: Imran Sher Rafique <imran_lists1@×××××××.org>
To: seemant@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] yet another virtual question
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 02:42:23

I coming to this thread a little late, and forgive me if I am grasping the wrong
end of the stick, but I dont see what the problem is.

Whether the init.d scripts (or any other startup scripts) use bash or not, how
should this affect the users own choice of shell for interactive use? After all,
there is nothing in those scripts which carry over into the users interactive
environment - they are executed in a child process, not sourced.

Basically - install and use whatever shell you like. The most you would have to
do is translate /etc/profile.env into your own shell's lingo, if it came to that.

Secondly, as Stuart mentioned, we should never confuse /bin/sh with /bin/bash.
Even if the same executable ends up interpreting the script, the result is NOT
the same. Compare the output of the following 2 scripts:

set -o

set -o

FWIW, I think it's very sensible that Gentoo explicitly uses /bin/bash as the
shell of choice, rather than unnecessarily giving up functionality by shebanging

       Imran Sher Rafique

-- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list