From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Code Review Systems Was: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 18:58:23
1 On 07/09/2015 01:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 5:31 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The quality problem is that we have too many developers. If you make
5 >> community contributions easier, sane and more reliable (due to code
6 >> review) then you solve several problems at once, because you need _less_
7 >> developers. Are you aware that we could potentially "pull" in hundreds
8 >> of contributors who chose to work on their personal overlay instead of
9 >> the gentoo tree? Are you aware that there are a lot of those people?
10 >
11 > Yes and no.
12 >
13 > I'll agree that with a review workflow we might only need one reviewer
14 > for every 10 contributors, or something like that. If we have 100
15 > active devs today, in theory we could instead turn 20 of them into
16 > reviewers, and now we can support 2000 contributors.
17 >
18 > There are some big assumptions with this kind of argument, though:
19 > 1. We might find that we don't even have 20 devs interested in doing
20 > a substantial amount of review.
21 > 2. The main repository is very diverse. If 50% of our packages have
22 > only one person interested in maintaining them, then they get dropped
23 > since reviewers will ignore their contributions. Or, they'll just
24 > rubber-stamp them which is adding valueless work.
25 >
26 > So, a review system could make manpower either more of an issue or
27 > less of one. I suspect that trying to force it would basically end up
28 > putting the entire distro on hold until most of the current devs quit,
29 > and a new crop signs up who is interested in using the new workflow,
30 > and then they're starting with zero experience.
31 >
32 > I think a review model is best implemented by individual project
33 > teams. They could use it to track changes in an overlay or branch in
34 > the main tree, and then move those into the main tree using whatever
35 > quality system seems best. The team can figure out what is working
36 > best for it, and if over time a large number of devs feel that it is a
37 > good way to work we could then talk about doing it with the main tree.
38 > I still suspect we'll end up having problems with the 70% of packages
39 > that don't fall into a project though.
42 I'm not sure if you followed my argumentation. I basically said that it
43 is unrealistic to enforce a review-only workflow and that it should/can
44 start within gentoo-internal projects. You are just repeating what I
45 already said.
46
47 My point was that I am not mixing up different issues as Andrew claimed,
48 because a review workflow can be seen in a different context.
49 And then, the repeated argument of "not enough manpower for review
50 workflow" doesn't make a lot of sense. The problem is the mindest/culture.
51
52 However, it makes sense to provide review workflow tools. And they have
53 been demanded quite a few times now I think, even from vapier afair.