From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:41:15
1 On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 11:29 AM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:18 PM Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > The lack of curiosity for one's own packages' python compatibility is
7 > not just
8 > > a py27 isolated issue, it was a big problem with py36 -> py37 with so
9 > many
10 > > devs simply not filing that necessary stabilisation.
11 >
12 > That suggests that if you keep doing what you're doing, you're going
13 > to keep hitting your head against the wall.
14 >
15 > Right now in Gentoo there isn't really even a straightforward way for
16 > a maintainer to cleanly obtain a list of all the packages they
17 > maintain, let alone whether they use python v2.
20 > Sure, you can use the portage API to find this info. However, that is
21 > as easy to do for a list of all impacted packages in the tree with
22 > their maintainers as for any individual maintainer to obtain this info
23 > for their own packages.
26 You say there is not a straightforward way, but then you say there is an
27 api? :p
31 > I think that if you give the maintainers a bit more info, you'll find
32 > them being more proactive about helping you out. Basically you would
33 > be helping them help you.
34 >
35 > Otherwise you're going to mask a bunch of packages and run into a
36 > bunch of upset devs, and as a byproduct we create a bunch of upset
37 > users.
40 Extend the existing QA report?
41
42 https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/py2.txt
43
44 There is a list of py2 only packages. We just need to add the maintainer
45 metadata?
49 > There is no reason to mask a package only to unmask it a few days
50 > later. Masks are a mechanism for deprecating packages so that users
51 > take action. They're not a substitute for devs talking to each other.
54 > --
55 > Rich