From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stability of /sys api
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 18:37:42
Hi Steven,

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 06:48:33AM +0100, Steven J Long wrote:
> Thing is it runs before the real init[1] so if we are using a separate /usr > partition on LVM, will it still work? I'd have thought not, since we need > the device-mapper service and there's /etc/lvm.conf to consider, but I'll > gladly be told different.
No, you are correct about this. This does not work if you have /usr on lvm, mdadm, or encrypted. The same applies to /. That is the situation where you would need an initramfs. I'm curious, have you seen our initramfs guide yet [1]? Making and using an initramfs seems to be pretty well documented these days. William [1]

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Implementing udev without an initramfs (Was: Stability of /sys api) Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>