From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: lzma tarball usage
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 02:59:05
1 On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:17:08 -0400
2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ryan Hill wrote:
5 > > The new lzma-utils codebase uses liblzma, written in C. It's at the
6 > > alpha stage but supposedly supports encoding/decoding the current
7 > > lzma format "well enough" (;P). It probably has some fun bugs to
8 > > find and squish.
9 > >
10 > > http://sf.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=200804251652.58484.lasse.collin%40tukaani.org&forum_name=lzmautils-announce
11
12 > According to the mailing list this change was done to fix security
13 > holes in the format and also resulted in a slightly different format
14 > that's incompatible with the previous verion. So lzma 5.x and higher
15 > will be a different on disk format. It's troubling to me that
16 > projects are using lzma when it's on disk format isn't even final and
17 > the project has security issues.
18
19 The current format is fine. It's the new format that has
20 design/security issues. Yes the formats are incompatible, but so
21 are .tar.lzma and .7z, which are both lzma. Either way I was just
22 offering it as a data point. I have no real opinion one way or the
23 other.
27 fonts, gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
28 mips, treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
29 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662