From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:22:26
1 On Tuesday 10 October 2006 03:45, Kari Hazzard wrote:
2 <stuff/>
3
4 After writing the last response, another thought came to mind that I figured I
5 should post - and should probably be set out in a "user's guide to posting on
6 dev mailing lists".
7
8 I had the thought that users likely feel that it's okay to repeatedly post
9 arguments for their point of view because they often see developers doing it.
10 There is a very obvious parallel between users and developers in these
11 threads in that both are lazy and thus want things done their own way in
12 order to make their lives easier.
13
14 The important difference is that (usually :/) at least some of the developers
15 of each point of view are willing to implement the whole lot themselves. What
16 they are arguing about is how much effort they see will be needed in the long
17 term. Even in the case where a developer with a conflicting point of view is
18 not willing to do the work now, the developer will argue for the point of
19 view as they can see themselves having to redo it later on anyway.
20
21 In the open source world, the driving theme is that there is often something
22 good enough to not require reinventing the wheel but, in the end, "if you
23 want a job done right, you've got to do it yourself."
26 Jason Stubbs
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list