From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:34:39
1 On 2010.03.24 21:12, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:36:52PM +0100, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 > > On 24 March 2010 21:25, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > If we make it clear in the news item that python-3 cannot be used
5 > as the
6 > > > default python, so if users do not want it they should mask it,
7 > we
8 > have
9 > > > done our job imho.  In other words, this is just a matter of
10 > informing
11 > > > users.
12 > >
13 > > We agree that this is the minimum that should be done. But our
14 > > Python lead stubbornly refuses to honor this reasonable request.
15 >
16 > On the other hand, I can see his point as well. The news item makes
17 > it
18 > very clear that python-3 cannot be the default python and that
19 > python-2
20 > needs to be installed.
21 >
22 > It could be argued that he is just assuming that users are
23 > intelligent
24 > enough to figure out that they need to mask python-3 if they
25 > do not want it on their systems.
26 >
27 > Basically this is a case of "how much hand-holding do we want to do"?
28 >
29 > William
33 The case where Python-3 cannot be used as the default Python is
34 transitory (it may be a long time). Should we advise users of stable to
35 mask it, we will get a lot of pleas for help when Python-3 is required
36 because many users will have forgotten all about package.mask
37
38 In my view, its better to avoid these future unmasking issues as stable
39 users tend to be very wary of unmasking things and let them have
40 Python-3 unless they are already comfortable with the contents of /etc/
41 portage ... in which case they are not using stable anyway.
44 Regards,
45
46 Roy Bamford
47 (Neddyseagoon) a member of