From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:39:13
1 On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 01:08 -0700, Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
2 > Rather then analyze the proposed solution, I'd like to
3 > question the problem itself. Do we really want to provide
4 > all the different intermediate development "sort of releases"
5 > in our tree?
6
7 That came up in the link I provided in another post.
8 http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=117251925901310&w=2
9
10 IMHO I think it should be up to the package maintainer how close they
11 want to follow upstream. With regard to development, progress, testing,
12 qa, feedback. I think it's a very good thing, since it allows things to
13 be caught before actual releases, during development.
14
15 I know when I am developing stuff, it's way easier to address during the
16 process rather than after the fact.
17
18 But if there are any policies or etc. I surely do not want to be
19 breaking them. Also this is not broken or really experimental stuff. If
20 it was I would either p.mask, or put in an overlay.
21
22 Although I feel things tend to get the greatest exposure and chance of
23 user testing and feedback, if it's in tree.
26 William L. Thomson Jr.
27 Gentoo/Java