From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:57:26
1 From time to time cases like the following are brought up to
2 licenses@g.o, for a package that is labelled with
3 LICENSE="as-is":
4
5 | Permission to use, copy, modify and/or distribute this software in
6 | both binary and source form, for non-commercial purposes, is hereby
7 | granted [...]
8
9 This is clearly not free/open-source software because of the
10 non-commercial restriction.
11
12 In my understanding, our "as-is" really is what opensource.org lists
13 as "Historical Permission Notice and Disclaimer" [1]. Obviously it's
14 very permissive (comparable to MIT or BSD-2). It is also included in
15 our @OSI-APPROVED license group.
16
17 So, either we should only mark free software with the as-is label.
18 Then it might help if the text was clarified as in the patch below.
19
20 Or we continue marking random non-free stuff with as-is. Then we
21 should IMHO remove as-is from our free license groups, create a
22 licenses/HPND file (text as in [1]), and move the free packages to it.
23
24 Currently, 679 packages have as-is in their LICENSE.
25
26 Ulrich
27
28 [1] <http://opensource.org/licenses/HPND>
29
30 --- as-is 12 Jan 2012 19:03:23 -0000 1.3
31 +++ as-is 23 Sep 2012 09:43:19 -0000
32 @@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
33 -This is a generic place holder for a class of licenses that boil down to do
34 -no guarantees and all you get is what you have. The language is usually
35 +This is a generic place holder for a class of licenses that allow you to
36 +do most anything you want with the software. The language is usually
37 similar to:
38
39 Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
40 @@ -12,13 +12,11 @@
41 suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is"
42 without express or implied warranty.
43
44 -
45 -You will need to check the license that came with the software for the exact
46 -specifics. Generally you are free to do most anything you want with "as is"
47 -software but you should not take this license as legal advice.
48 +You will need to check the license that came with the software (usually as
49 +permission notice in the source files themselves) for the exact wording.
50
51 Note: Most all license have an "as is" clause. For our purposes this does
52 -not make all software in this category. This category is for software with
53 -very little restrictions.
54 +not make all software in this category. This category is for software that
55 +complies with the Open Source Definition and has very little restrictions.
56
57 The information in this license about licenses is presented "as is". :-P