From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:49:15
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 09/29/2012 08:39 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:37:15 +0200 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >
8 >> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
9 >> wrote:
10 >>> That still does not explain the reasons why this work was
11 >>> initiated.
12 >>>
13 >>> If there is any way to fix the current eclass, that should be
14 >>> preferred.
15 >>
16 >> I tend to agree. Michał, let me first say I value the time you
17 >> have invested to make the eclasses better. However, at this point
18 >> I have a strong feeling that we have more people willing to write
19 >> code to fix things than we have people building consensus on
20 >> what features/policies/mechanisms we need to make it easy to
21 >> write high-quality ebuilds for Python/distutils. I would prefer
22 >> discussions on problems that the current ebuilds have and
23 >> discussions on how to solve them, not at the code level, but that
24 >> the mechanism level.
25 >
26 > The main issue: noone wants to even touch python.eclass or
27 > anything nearby.
28 >
29 > The second issue: python-distutils-ng isn't good enough. It has
30 > too many things hard-wired. I think I have already pointed enough
31 > problems with it. Not that many people cared to respond.
32 >
33 > It's sad that people don't care to respond when you point the
34 > issues out but then complain when you do something to fix them.
37 Did you CC gentoo-dev? I cannot find the tread.
38
39 > [example needed]
42 ??
43
44 I meant that not all tree ebuilds use the same python-eclass
45 implementation which IS a problem. Adding another implementation does
46 not really improve that situation.
47
48 > Please list the features. Preferably, order them by usefulness,
49 > with exact use cases.
52 As I said, I think the python herd already did a list on this.
53
54 Btw. could you give exact examples on how to convert widely used
55 python ebuilds with your eclasses?
56 E.g. dev-python/pygobject dev-python/setuptools or dev-libs/boost?
57 How can I convert shebangs consistently and recursively?