From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Projects and subproject status
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 01:27:37
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Here is a list of interesting questions: "Are we fine?" "What are we
3 > going to do?"
4 >
5 > Please project leaders try to reply in short.
6
7 [ wxWidgets ] (i'm not the lead but i don't think leio will mind)
8
9 Done:
10 We got 2.8 into the tree (yay). After a few bug reports that were
11 mostly silliness on my part, things have mostly been smooth sailing.
12 Hopefully it's working out for everyone.
13
14 To Do:
15 I have a couple people interested in ports other than wxGTK (eg.
16 wxMac). I'd like to start by separating wxBase into its own package and
17 get support for building against an external wxBase into upstream. I
18 haven't talked to upstream about this yet and they may violently
19 disagree with this approach so all this is highly tentative. I have no
20 idea what form other ports in portage will take at the moment.
21 Work on upcoming releases (2.10(?)/3.0) will begin when said releases
22 are closer to.. er.. release.
25 [ gcc-porting ] (again not the lead but I don't think vapier will mind)
26
27 Done:
28 The usual.
29 To Do:
30 I've been working on getting the tree ready for GCC 4.3 but it's been
31 slow going. 4.3 is a hell of a lot more disruptive than 4.2 was. There
32 is a preliminary porting document posted at
33 http://people.redhat.com/~bkoz/porting_to_gcc43.html which outlines most
34 of the major issues if people are interested. Right now I almost have
35 Gnome building while KDE is a bit further behind just due to the most
36 commonly encountered 4.3 incompatibilities being in C++ code (KDE itself
37 has been fine, most of the problems are in the dependencies). Anyone
38 wishing to follow this progress can checkout my overlay via layman and
39 subscribe to Bug #198121. (I also have svn GCC ebuilds in my overlay.
40 They work on 64bit targets which i think the ones in the toolchain
41 overlay have trouble with (?).)
44 [ fonts ] (hey, i do run this one!)
45
46 Done:
47 Version bumping. Random fixing. Thanks to pva the eclass now
48 handles conf files with spaces in their names. :) Thanks to cardoe we
49 have an awesome eselect module for tweaking said conf files. :) I think
50 all of our major bugs have been fixed.
51 To Do:
52 We've gotten a couple more ppl so things should go a bit smoother.
53 There are a crapload of font ebuild requests in bugzilla I'd like to
54 sort through. (I'm not adding every request to the tree; fonts will be
55 considered based on quality, coverage, license, etc.) I'd like to bring
56 our font selection up to the level of other mainstream distros, as well
57 as review our defaults to try and provide a better out-of-the-box
58 experience for >=2008.x. fontconfig-2.5 helps with this and I'm
59 planning on stabilizing it soon.
63 fonts, by design, by neglect
64 gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
65 wxwindows @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
68 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list