From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Always specify SLOT we know a package is compatible with (even if only one SLOT exists at the moment ebuild is added)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 10:37:04
1 On 09/19/2015 12:08 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
4 Thanks for the thread, but I have a small remark...
8 > With we trying to move to finally disable dymamic-deps and stop relying
9 > on them completely, an old problem will be a bit more noticeable now:
10 >
11 > - Tons of package RDEPEND on A
12 > - Long time after that, A starts to have a new SLOT
13 > - As most reverse deps need to be ported, we need to fix it
14 > retroactively to request the old slot that is known to work.
15 >
16 > Currently, we can see how most of us try to go as quick as possible to
17 > fix the dependencies retroactively setting the proper slot but this
18 > relies on dynamic-deps, if this feature gets disabled, we will need to
19 > make revbumps for all of them and people will need to rebuild all the
20 > reverse deps. This can be really problematic as some of this libs are
21 > used by a ton of packages... I can think on recent examples like
22 > gstreamer, gtk+, glib... for example a few days ago we needed to adapt
23 > reverse deps to the inclusion of a new gtk-sharp slot.
26 This sounds a little bit like you are suggesting: "fix" all of the
27 dependencies in-place before dynamic deps gets turned off. Please don't
28 do that. It already affects portage users who have turned them off and
29 paludis users... which leaves them with blockers and weird dependency
30 errors. It also affects those that DO use dynamic-deps, since they don't
31 work consistently (which is the whole point of turning them off).
32
33 Having as little RDEPEND in-place changes in the current ebuild tree as
34 possible is a _requirement_ for us to turn dynamic deps off. So it makes
35 sense to start right now.
36
37 > On the other hand, if we start always setting the available slots that
38 > we know to work, we can avoid this issue, and this is also completely
39 > future proof becase I don't think we can assume that package B will
40 > always work with the latest available SLOT package A can have in the
41 > future. Then, applying the same policy of we trying to set the versions
42 > in dependencies to the versions we know are compatible, we should do
43 > the same with the slot.
46 Hmm, you are suggesting to do this even for packages that only have one
47 SLOT anyway? I'm really not sure about this. Depending on the
48 SLOT-naming-scheme that will be introduced it may require massive
49 changes as well. It's hard to look into the future. I personally think
50 it is enough to do that for multislot packages.