From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Thoughts about LUA_TARGETS
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:29:24
1 Hi!
2 As you can be noticed, Lua packages, just like Python, PHP or Ruby ones,
3 supports "slotted" behaviour (with some side notes).
4 As far as we have nice *_TARGETS for languages above (without standardised
5 naming syntax, although), we still do not have such for Lua.
6
7 Rafael's main argument is about that fact, that Lua releases between
8 themselves has incompatible bytecode, sometimes syntax (just as all
9 interpreters above), and that LuaJIT has incompatible bytecode even with
10 version it is built to be as (i.e. libluajit-5.1 bytecode is incompatible with
11 liblua-5.1, and so on for 5.2 and 5.3).
12
13 But as far as I know, it is same issues between CPython and PyPy, and between
14 MRI and Rubinius.
15
16 So, I'd like to escalate that problem, finally make some decision and finally
17 introduce LUA_TARGETS on packages ;).
21 Best regards,
22 mva