From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:11:04
1 On Wednesday 14 December 2005 09:52, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:11:51 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | newsdir="$(portageq envvar PORTDIR)/metadata/news"
6 > | newsdir="$(portageq newsdir gentoo)"
7 > |
8 > | Both have one level of indirection. The first has two hard coded
9 > | elements. The first has one. Where is the massive over-indirection?
10 > |
11 > | The second allows future changes. The first does not. Where does the
12 > | specification come into it? All that would be needed is to allow a
13 > | user a method to name overlays and it'd be useful straight off the
14 > | bat.
15 >
16 > The former relies upon existing, widely used functionality together
17 > with a well-defined path. The latter has some magic hard-coded name
18 > voodoo (what's a 'gentoo'?) and is still stuck only supporting a single
19 > location.
20
21 What's a 'PORTDIR'? What's a 'metadata'? Outside of portage, these are also
22 magic name voodoo. But I've grown tired of your imperfect circles. I think
23 your design sucks and you think that my solution to making it not suck is too
24 soon. The solution to that seems simple to me. Rather than have 'package
25 manager' do anything, just have it provide hooks that will allow you to do
26 your thing at the times you want. Good luck with solving the "news in
27 overlays" bug when it comes in.
30 Jason Stubbs
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list