From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:26:22
1 On Thursday 28 August 2003 22:21, foser wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 14:52, dams@×××.fr wrote:
3 > > Maybe add a vanilla flags, that can be unset. When unset, the DE are
4 > > preconfigured and gentoo touched.
5 > > The pb is that you want vanilla, but you want also some core feature like
6 > > centralized menu system, which is not compatible. So either we decide not
7 > > to include such features, or to have a flag.
8 >
9 > The proposed implementation i have seen i dislike for several reasons,
10 > but mostly because of the reasons i stated down here in my last mail
11 > (compliance part). I think other possible solutions may be a lot more
12 > workable and should be investigated first. But these are details, this
13 > isn't the place to discuss this.
14
15 There is currently work going on to create a unified desktop menu system with
16 the hopes of integration with portage.Check out:
17
18 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=66754
19
20 To sum up, it is an optional system that will create menu items for useful
21 applications following guidelines on freedesktop.org for organisation. The
22 issue of WM specific menus (such as KDE desktop settings) has been touched on
23 but I don't believe has been resolved yet.
24
25 I've posted to the forum to alert the head developer of the project of this
26 discussion. Hopefully, he'll clarify the idea.
27
28 Regards,
29 Jason
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list