From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ulm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] upstreams that release lzip compressed tarballs (tar.lz) only
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:40:06
1 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:28:30 +0100 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 >Last time I checked, lzip compressed slightly worse and was slower
4 >than xz-utils, so there really is no reason why one would want to use
5 >it. Maybe more important, even if lzip was at par with xz-utils, the
6 >latter has won the competition and is vastly more popular.
7 >
8 >What was his argument for refusing a release in .tar.xz format?
9
10 You can find some of his arguments in https://bugs.gentoo.org/249059
11
12 >> So what can we do? Three solutions came to my mind which I list here
13 >> in the order first being my favorite, last being my least favorite:
14 >
15 >> 1.) Make portage's unpack function lzip compatible
16 >
17 >> 2.) Fix this on ebuild level: - add app-arch/lzip to DEPEND - add
18 >> something like 'tar --lzip -xf "${DISTDIR}"/${P}.tar.lz || die' to a
19 >> custom src_unpack() function.
20 >
21 >> 3.) Provide all affected source tarballs ourselves in a portage
22 >> compatible compressed format.
23 >
24 >> 4.) Try very hard to convince upstream to provide sources in
25 >> differently compressed tarballs.
26 >
27 >It would rate them in order 4, 3, 2, 1, with 4 being my favourite.
28 >
29 >Ulrich
30
31 Well, 4 is the most uphill of all solutions with little chance of
32 success. And even if we can convince some upstreams, we'd still have to
33 deal with the ones refusing our request.
34 3 is similar annoying as we have to make sure to provide these tarballs
35 like forever.
38 Lars Wendler
39 Gentoo package maintainer
40 GPG: 4DD8 C47C CDFA 5295 E1A6 3FC8 F696 74AB 981C A6FC