From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:09:13
1 On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 16:56:17 +0200
4 > ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
5 >> It seems really tricky to correctly reason about dependency
6 >> resolution.
7 >
8 > It's actually very easy if you do away with all the things that are
9 > making it unnecessarily complicated... Nearly all of the complexity is
10 > self-inflicted.
11
12 What would you do away with? Being able to virtualize packages
13 without recompiling everything that depends on them?
14
15 I do appreciate your argument, but at the same time for every complex
16 problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
17
18 There are a lot of things in Gentoo that could be done in a simpler
19 fashion, and 10 years ago Gentoo was a lot simpler than it is today.
20 The thing is, all that complexity was added for a reason. I'm all for
21 refactoring, but we need to be careful to not toss the baby with the
22 bathwater if it is at all possible.
23
24 It might be an interesting exercise if we could take something like
25 kde-meta+firefox+openoffice on the desktop/kde profile (or gnome if
26 you wish) and determine just how many rebuilds would have resulted in
27 the last six months if all the changes we're talking about actually
28 involved revbumps, and how much cpu time that would take on an
29 "average" system (I don't care what but distinguishing
30 firefox/openoffice/qt/kdelibs from some package with 1k lines of code
31 is useful).
32
33 Rich