From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Sunrise contemplations
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:28:22
1 Hello,
2
3 since I've not really been involved in the whole Sunrise discussion I'd
4 like to give my view in a condensed form, instead of spreading it out
5 over 20 replies in the ongoing discussion. Also I hope to summarize the
6 main points a bit, but I know this mail is far from objective and as
7 such not much of good summary.
8
9 There are really 2 big discussion points in the whole Sunrise discussion
10 as far as I can see. First there is the purpose of Sunrise and how that
11 ties into Gentoo and secondly there's how it came into being. I would
12 also like to discuss how I think Sunrise will influence the work of
13 developers. Let's tackle them one by one.
14
15 * The purpose of Sunrise
16
17 The purpose of Sunrise as far as I can distill them from their goals :
18
19 1. Make stale ebuilds in bugzilla accessible
20 2. Provide some level of QA for user contributed ebuilds in bugzilla
21 3. Lower the step to becoming a developer
22
23 Let's handle them.
24
25 1. Stale ebuilds are often stale for a reason, there is obviously not
26 enough interest to add and maintain them. Not just on the developer
27 side, but also on the user side. If someone really cared enough he/she would
28 go trough the process of becoming a dev. As far as I know most
29 maintainer-wanted stuff just belongs in the category WONTFIX, but the
30 real problem is telling that to the user who sweated on it. I think most
31 of the devs have gone trough a close-reopen cycle on some ebuilds that
32 really added nothing useful to the tree and know how uncomfortable this
33 can make you feel.
34 Then what is a solution to these ebuilds ? I for one would like to see
35 them go upstream, like rpm's and deb's . That would make it clear that
36 these ebuilds are not Gentoo approved, but would provide a starting
37 point for the user who would want to use such a package. I think that
38 was always the main idea when overlays got introduced to portage.
39 Sunrise just lowers the step to get these often mediocre ebuilds, people
40 can get them right now, just not as easy.
41
42 2. QA for ebuilds is not just a question of making a package build, but
43 also knowing what it does and how it would tie into Gentoo. The fact
44 that some ebuild is semantically correct doesn't mean it is doing the
45 right thing. Very few of the newly proposed ebuilds I handled and eventually committed was actually without major
46 flaws. This was because the submitters lacked specific knowledge of either the eclasses to use and
47 the environment it belonged in. In my case : any gnome ebuild fits in a
48 larger set of applications/libraries that got more complex as time went
49 by, it is not trivial to understand all the interactions that take
50 place. Even Gentoo developers not in the gnome team make serious
51 mistakes in this sense in my experience. Therefore I do not believe that
52 QA for a tree that is as extensive as Sunrise done by a few 'official'
53 developers amounts to much real world quality.
54
55 3. Although I agree Sunrise may lower the step to becoming a dev, I doubt it will have a serious positive impact on our
56 developer base and as such there is no reason to support Sunrise officially.
57 I think the people attracted to Sunrise development are the ones that
58 fall in the category 'want to be there, but don't really have the
59 time/skills'. Those people will not evolve to real developers; they
60 either will stick it out in Sunrise for a short while or keep to a very
61 small subset of it.
62 My prediction is that Sunrise will see a high turnover of 'developers',
63 either because they are there for one specific package (probably fresh
64 and included in the main tree when mature) or find out they lack the
65 time to really invest in learning the full extent of ebuilding. Also
66 'junior' devs on Sunrise might not take that extra step towards devhood
67 because they got the influence they want, as such we might lose out on
68 devs that never develop beyond Sunrise contributors.
69 As a developer I would not really think of Sunrise developers
70 any different than someone coming 'fresh' to Gentoo developing. I
71 would still require them to work on real bugs for a good while to see
72 their intentions/devotion over time before I would even consider
73 submitting them for real developership. In that sense Sunrise would only lengthen the time a wannabe dev has to spend in the no-mans land between active user and official developer.
74
75 In conclusion these 3 points come together here : being a dev is not
76 about adding new ebuilds to the tree, it is about maintaining what is
77 already there. Dealing with bugs and users. That aspect of Sunrise is not at all tackled in its goals. What are the longterm
78 prospects of ebuilds in the Sunrise tree ? That is what QA is about,
79 providing a stable base to work on.
80 I do not think that devs who mainly add ebuilds and new packages
81 to the tree are good devs, the real job is maintenance and bughandling.
82 In that sense Sunrise might be giving the wrong impression to wannabe
83 devs.
84
85 * The rise of project Sunrise
86
87 Now for the second big point concerning Sunrise : how it came into
88 being.
89
90 I checked back on the initial announcement, where it Sunrise was made
91 public as an official Gentoo project without any prior discussion. The
92 announcement actually stated 'This is an announcement - No flamewars
93 allowed'. I guess the creators were already aware of the feelings of
94 some other developers on this issue and decided to just go ahead instead
95 of going through the proper channels (GLEP?) and do things as they
96 wished. As we all know this can be very effective, but this particular
97 time one of the largest and longest ongoing 'discussions' in Gentoo's
98 history ensued.
99 If you know it's flamewar material, why do you go ahead
100 so bluntly with your project ? Why not go trough the proper channels and
101 discuss it beforehand in a public place ?
102
103 Anyway, the project after the initial announcement got a 'temporarily removed' status
104 from gentoo.org . The problem here in my opinion is not so much that the
105 people who support the project needed to defend it, but that people who
106 are more conscious about the project need to prove it is wrong. This had
107 to happen in a mere 2 months where the project has had hardly any impact.
108 If you want to properly evaluate such an extensive project it needs to be given
109 much more time. The project should prove itself before it should be
110 allowed to 'join' Gentoo, not the other way around. I have seen no
111 tangible benefits from Sunrise so far, aside from the fact that
112 developers have left over it and the developer community is seriously
113 divided these days. As such Sunrise has been one big mistake, the
114 possible benefits at this point in time do not outweigh the havoc it has
115 caused.
116
117 * The implications of sunrise
118
119 What will Sunrise mean to the general developer ?
120
121 Again here I can share my experiences with a similar project, the
122 infamous BMG was created with similar goals and turned out to be a
123 serious nightmare for the gnome team. At a certain point in time every
124 bug we got had to be double checked for possible overlay problems. I
125 cannot count the times I had to spend hours on an unexplainable problem
126 to find out in the end that it was caused by BMG ebuilds. This is
127 incredibly destructive for my mood, not to mention the time wasted which
128 could've been spent on real problems. The other side of the medal is
129 that there are false-positives where you think it's BMG, but it really
130 isn't and I can tell you that is not a nice experience for the user and
131 dev alike. BMG was mainly gnome oriented, so a lot of devs may never
132 have noticed such problems, but they surely existed for the gnome team.
133 Another exponent of the BMG tree were the infamous love-sources which
134 also caused inexplicable problems left and right, which may ring a bell
135 with much more devs.
136
137 In short, from my experience Sunrise will only result in more work for
138 the general developer with little benefits. This may not happen often,
139 but every single time is one time too much. This is can be really
140 demotivating, which is probably the worst thing about it.
141
142 regards,
143 Marinus
146 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list