From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:57:41
1 On 06/16/2013 11:23 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > Ignoring that call graph, you could look at what has recently been
3 > introduced to increase the amount of time needed to calculate the
4 > dependency graph; you don't have to look far.
5 >
6 > http://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2013/05/27/the-pointless-art-of-subslots/
7 >
8 > While I don't want point out the contents of that blog post, the title
9 > is relevant; implementing features like subslots on an algorithm that
10 > was not written with subslots in mind introduces a lot of inefficiency.
11
12 It's actually not bad, since all of the subslot rebuilds are triggered
13 in a single backtracking run. Anyway, I welcome having people work on
14 competing package managers, trying to do all of this stuff more
15 efficiently. :-)
16
17 > And it's not just subslots, newer features keep getting added to the
18 > dependency graph calculation and it gets slower and slower over time.
19 > It feels like revdep-rebuild moved into the dependency calculation!
20
21 I guess the main things that make it slower than it has been
22 historically would be things like --autounmask, --backtrack,
23 --complete-graph-if-new-use and --complete-graph-if-new-ver. Note that
24 you can use EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to disable these things if you would
25 prefer to live without them. You might use something like --backtrack=2
26 if you want it to bail out early for all but the simplest backtracking
27 cases. Use --ignore-built-slot-operator-deps=y if you want to disable
28 all rebuilds involving subslots and slot-operators.
29 --
30 Thanks,
31 Zac