From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP XX: Fix the GLEP process
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:27:02
1 Jason Stubbs wrote: [Mon Dec 12 2005, 08:06:54PM CST]
2 > The purpose of GLEPs is to coordinate several teams into providing an
3 > overall enhancement to Gentoo. However, the GLEP itself is written by
4 > a single person rather than a cooperative effort between the teams.
5
6 You know, there's no reason that GLEPs need to be written by a single
7 person. It's often true, though, that it is a single person's idea,
8 initially at least.
9
10 > Specification
11 >
12 > Rather than coming to the ML with a completed GLEP and then asking for
13 > feedback, a GLEP author should look at the teams involved and then
14 > select a solicit a member from each team to be responsible for that
15 > area of the GLEP. The GLEP author may represent any teams they belong
16 > to.
17
18 Throwing out the initial GLEP amounts to the same thing, in my opinion,
19 since any interested parties are urged to provide feedback, and ideally
20 the next revision will include that feedback, either to accept it or
21 reject it.
22
23 > Rationale
24 >
25 > Rather than doing lots of hard work and having it thrown away once it
26 > is found to be unacceptable by the teams involved, the teams involved
27 > share the hard work and come up with something acceptable to everybody
28 > right from the outset.
29
30 Yes, of course, GLEP authors should talk to the folks who are likely to
31 be affected beforehand, but if they fail to do so then the GLEP process
32 is likely to be rather protracted for that GLEP. I have to admit that I
33 have no problem with people doing hard work for little gain, if that's
34 what people want to do. *Shrug*
35
36 -g2boojum-
37 --
38 Grant Goodyear
39 Gentoo Developer
40 g2boojum@g.o
41 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
42 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76