From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoostats, SoC 2011
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 03:20:00
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 25-08-2011 14:35, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 <snip>
8 >> The big issue with opt-out is privacy law - especially in Europe
9 >> (that's leaving aside just being up-front with users). We'd end
10 >> up having to have EULAs or such and perhaps a number of other
11 >> legal controls, and I don't think that is a direction that we want
12 >> to go in. I'm just not seeing the upside - better to just figure
13 >> out good ways to use data that is easy and safe to obtain first.
14 >>
15 >> Earlier somebody suggested that this decision wasn't really in the
16 >> domain of the Council/Trustees. I'm not sure I agree here - any
17 >> kind of opt-out data collection is something that has potential
18 >> legal ramifications as well as huge reputation concerns for the
19 >> distro (the software is distributed from Foundation-owned hardware
20 >> utilizing a Foundation-owned domain name and the data goes back to
21 >> Foundation-owned hardware - I'm sure any lawyer could make a case
22 >> for this). Just because there isn't a policy written down
23 >> somewhere doesn't mean that we can't use common sense. Devs
24 >> certainly don't need to run everything past the Council, but if you
25 >> want to do something high-profile post it on -dev, and if there is
26 >> an uproar look for an official second opinion before doing it.
27 >
28 > We did post to -dev, hence this thread. The point is that we don't
29 > need any 'official opinion' to do anything; and I don't want to set
30 > that precedent. If you have specific concerns about actions we plan
31 > to take (which by the way, we are not planning an opt-out solution.
32 > If we plan to do an opt-out solution, we will again have a thread on
33 > -dev) then let us know. If you have specific legal concerns about
34 > the application, data retention, encryption, logs, backups, onerous
35 > european privacy laws, and other such questions you should raise
36 > those concerns now.
37
38 I've picked this message as I want to address one point in this thread
39 that was focused on this sub-thread.
40 I disagree with the idea that adding an application to the Gentoo tree
41 that collects data from users and sends it to a central (or distributed)
42 system is the same as adding any other application to the tree.
43 Having the ability to add ebuilds to the tree is part of what you gain
44 by getting gentoo-x86 access. Issues with significant users privacy
45 concerns and substantial changes like adding packages to the tree that
46 collect data from users and compile it, should not be at the discretion
47 of individual developers but be subject of global policies that should
48 take into account the legal ramifications (trustees) and reflect the
49 developers desire and goals (council).
50
51 - --
52 Regards,
53
54 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
55 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng