From: Sanity in Anarchy <sanity@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo in the real world & utopia
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:13:49
1 Here's a simple comparison: Gentoo has 1389 packages, and Debian has over
2 3500. If this is true, I'd certainly rather have Debian, with apt-get, unless
3 there's some way you can get your Portage features to work on .deb packages.
4 Also, I can easily tell apt-get to only get free packages -- free as in
5 freedom of speech, not free beer. (read: free as in GNU or Free Software or
6 GPL/LGPL'd open-source software)
7
8 I like the idea of setting global configuration settings for a package
9 manager, but it just doesn't work with your current setup. Besides, I don't
10 have so many programs that I have trouble configuring them all.
11
12 And please -- let the kernel be custom-built!
13
15 woof! woof! I'm @dog.com