From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE variables in SRC_URI
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 00:40:34
1 Hi devs,
2
3 I just added a new pre-release version of Portage to gentoo-src (developers
4 only) CVS that allows you to use USE variables in the SRC_URI as follows:
5
6 SRC_URI="foo? ( http://www.foo.bar/meep.tar.gz )"
7
8 We will gradually start using these features. But right now I need testers.
9 If MAINTAINER is set to "yes", then all the USE variables in the SRC_URI will
10 default to "on", so that maintainers will be forced to test all SRC_URIs and
11 also cause complete digests to be generated. You can also use the new "!foo?"
12 syntax in SRC_URIs and soon in DEPENDS and RDEPENDS as well. This new version
13 of Portage also adds archive size to the digest files and uses a new file-based
14 DEPEND and RDEPEND passing method (for behind-the-scenes bash <-> python
15 integration.)
16
17 To test the new version of Portage, cvs update your gentoo-src module and copy
18 bin/ebuild.sh to /usr/lib/portage/bin, and pym/portage.py to
19 /usr/lib/portage/pym.
20
21 Best Regards,
24 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>