From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-scm@l.g.o, gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:21:58
1 Dnia 2014-09-18, o godz. 19:39:08
2 Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Since we're causing at least mild upheaval process-wise, I
5 > thought I'd bring up a topic that will be exacerbated by the git
6 > migration if it's not really addressed.
7 >
8 > AIUI, we try to avoid merge conflicts, unless the merge is a
9 > meaningful integration of divergent processes.
10 >
11 > However, one aspect of how ebuilds are written these days will
12 > cause a non-trivial amount of merge commits that are not actually
13 > useful in that sense.
14 >
15 > This is due to the way keywording and stabilization work on an
16 > ebuild level. Since keywords are all in one line, any merge tool
17 > will barf on two keywords being changed in disparate clones. I.e.
18 > if I change ~alpha->alpha while someone else changes
19 > ~amd64->amd64, we will have a merge conflict.
20
21 If someone stabilizes the package you have edited, then most likely you
22 actually want to edit your commits and move the changes to a revbump.
23
24 If at all, I'd be more worried by a case when queued version bumps
25 would lose keywords that were added in the meantime to older versions.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny