From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The problem of unmaintained packages in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:03:57
1 On 2017.12.21 00:35, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 07:12:45PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 > > On 12/20/2017 06:58 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > There already is an overlay for dying packages, it is called
6 > graveyard,
7 > > > but no one is putting things there.
8 > > >
9 > > > This email conflates old dying packages with new versions, which
10 > are a
11 > > > completely separate issue.
12 > > >
13 > >
14 > > Lack of new versions *is* dying. But I can make a package not-dying
15 > in a
16 > > few seconds by merging a PR, so long as you don't expect me to do
17 > the
18 > > (relatively high) level of QA required for ~arch.
21 > > > If a new version of a package is known to cause wide scale
22 > breakage, it
23 > > > goes in package.mask until the breakage is resolved. Otherwise,
24 > putting
25 > > > it in ~ is fine. I don't see the need for another level of
26 > keywords.
27 > >
28 > > The quality of ~arch is its own worst enemy; these days, stable
29 > packages
30 > > are just old ~arch packages. Users and developers expect ~arch to
31 > work,
32 > > and we have no real policy or documentation stating that it won't.
33 > Many
34 > > people will tell you that ~arch works better than stable, because it
35 > > gets fixed faster.
36 >
37 > ~arch *will* have breakages from time to time, sometimes major
38 > breakages, until they are masked or fixed. We are not supposed to
39 > leave
40 > major breakages there, but ~arch is definitely not for the faint of
41 > heart. If you are using ~arch, you are expected to be a power user at
42 > leasst and be able to recover if your system breaks. Production
43 > servers
44 > should not be running ~arch at all. That's the whole reason ~arch
45 > exists.
46 >
47 > Yes, ~arch gets fixed faster than stable, but that is to be expected.
48 > However, it is definitely not a good reason to put your production
49 > system on
50 > full ~arch.
51 >
52 > So, I guess this means that the quality of the ~arch tree is supposed
54 > be somewhat lower than the quality of the stable tree.
55 >
56 > William
60 William,
61
62 I've been running ~arch everywhere since May 2002 and had exactly
63 two major issues. They were :-
64 Xorg going modular ... which I was aware of before it happened and
65 expat which came as a surprise while I was dealing with modular
66 Xorg.
67
68 There have been some minor inconviences along the way too but
69 problems running ~arch have reduced over the years.
70
71 Nobody should run Gentoo at all in production unless they build
72 and test packages offline before pushing the binaries to production.
73 Then they can run whatever they want.
74 Every Gentoo install is different and very few possible
75 combinations are actually tested.
76
77 By all means lower the bar for ~arch. Say, to "builds and works for
78 me, needs more testing". The down side is that it will create more
79 bug reports and more work, so it may only exchange one problem
80 for another.
83 Regards,
84
85 Roy Bamford