From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: bug wrangler queue is large...
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:02:22
1 Graham Murray posted on Wed, 26 May 2010 06:36:35 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> writes:
4 >
5 >> the bug reporter can open their own bugs. gentoo developers can open
6 >> any bug. that's about it.
7 >
8 > Which can be a pain for other users who suffered the same bug (and are
9 > probably on the CC list), the maintainer says to re-open if the problem
10 > is not fixed, the user finds the problem is still there but the bug
11 > reporter does not re-open the bug. All you can do is add a comment and
12 > hope that a developer sees it and re-opens the bug.
13
14 That's what clone bug is for... or at least what /I/ use it for. If I'm
15 not the bug OR/owner and I'm still seeing the bug, I can't open the
16 existing one, but I can clone it, with an explanation why, about the best
17 that can be done under the circumstances.
18
19 It's then upto the wranglers whether they want to reopen the old one and
20 make the new one a dup, or occasionally there's different minor details
21 (maybe a patch didn't get applied or doesn't apply to a new version), and
22 it can be argued to be a new bug, simply related to the old one. Either
23 way, the wranglers or package maintainer get to decide.
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman