From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 06:05:43
1 On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 23:01 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I am starting a new thread so we don't refer to a specific package, but I
5 > am quoting Rich and hasufell from the previous masking thread.
6 >
7 > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:04:54AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
8 > > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
9 > > > This is still too vague for me. If it's expected to be short-term, then
10 > > > it can as well just land in ~arch.
11 > >
12 > > A package that hasn't been tested AT ALL doesn't belong in ~arch.
13 > > Suppose the maintainer is unable to test some aspect of the package,
14 > > or any aspect of the package? Do we want it to break completely for
15 > > ~arch? In that event, nobody will run ~arch for that package, and
16 > > then it still isn't getting tested.
17 >
18 > I'm not saying that we should just randomly throw something into ~arch
19 > without testing it, but ~arch users are running ~arch with the
20 > understanding that their systems will break from time to time and they
21 > are expected to be able to deal with it when/if it happens. ~arch is
22 > not a second stable branch.
23
24 I realize that not everybody agrees with me, but I see ~arch as a
25 "semi-stable" branch - an internally consistent branch for people who
26 don't feel like maintaining a horrific mess of keywords and masks in
27 their /etc/portage and don't want to wait weeks/months for bugfixes to
28 their favorite ebuilds to be marked stable by overworked arch teams, and
29 who don't mind seeing an occasional build failure or crash as a
30 consequence of standing closer to the bleeding edge.
31
32 In my view, experimental work not ready for general exposure should be
33 kept in overlays and/or the main tree's package.mask, depending on how
34 the particular project's workflow is organized.
35
36 > > I agree that masking for testing is like having a 3rd branch, but I'm
37 > > not convinced that this is a bad thing. ~arch should be for packages
38 > > that have received rudimentary testing and which are ready for testing
39 > > by a larger population. Masking should be used for packages that
40 > > haven't received rudimentary testing - they might not have been tested
41 > > at all.
42 >
43 > The concern with this argument is the definition of rudimentary testing
44 > is subjective, especially when a package supports many possible
45 > configurations.
46 >
47 > I think some packages need wide testing before they go stable, and that
48 > is where ~arch can help out.
49 >
50 > In particular, I would argue that for system-critical packages, users
51 > should be very careful about running ~arch unless they know what the
52 > fallout can be.
53
54 At any given stability level, a system-critical library ideally ought to
55 be better-tested than, say, a game or a media player. In practice, this
56 sometimes doesn't happen, because some system-critical library
57 maintainers don't care about ~arch users and dump experimental code in
58 their laps, and in my view that's a bad thing because it encourages
59 users to come up with ad-hoc mixed arch/~arch setups which have *never*
60 been tested by any developer.