From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Ability to pass arguments to src_configure/src_compile
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:44:16
1 Vaeth wrote:
2
3 > The point is that in contrast to shell code you need additional
4 > pre-knowledge to read or write it.
5 >
6 True.
7
8 >> the syntax looks fine and the syntax is in fact still bash.
9 >
10 > I do not want to start a discussion now whether this is
11 > implicit semantic or sort of an extended syntax - it depends on the point
12 > of view. But in any case it involves new (and actually redundant)
13 > "keywords" in the ebuild.
14 >
15 Yes it's "extended syntax" if you like.
16
17 > The knowledge needed to write or read ebuilds should be kept
18 > as small as possible.
19
20 Agreed. This is similar to the "make it look like as much like a from-src
21 build as possible" argument. I would question just how much of a burden
22 this adds to the knowledge required to write an ebuild, however.