From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:42:17
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 05:32:38PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:23:19 +0200 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | We really should figure that stuff out before we start integrating an
5 > | externally written package manager we have no influence on whatsoever
6 >
7 > How much influence does your typical Gentoo developer or user have over
8 > the development of Portage? Please consider long-standing feature
9 > requests such as :slot and [use] deps in your answer.
10
11 Can we *please* avoid the portage bashing for at least a few days?
12
13 As we've discussed in the past, sane base design and you can do
14 use/slot without too much trouble. Folks *do* request things of
15 portage, and it *does* get added- multilib came about via requests
16 from lv (pretty quick turn around), axxo's need for env tricks to deal
17 with /etc/profile issues* results in pre/post phase hooks being added,
18 etc.
19
20 Portage devs work with a crap source trying to implement what folks
21 want- the code does fight certain features. That doesn't mean you can
22 construe it as "portage devs don't listen" as you're implying.
23
24 Besides that, lay off 'em. Lot of people want features out of
25 portage, but nobody ever steps up- usually what comes of it is just
26 someone flaming them, rather then providing a patch.
27 ~harring