From: scott worley <folokai@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gcc3 & gentoo install: passwd doesn't work
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:07:22
1 Hi,
2
3 I setup a separate Gentoo install to play with. Why try installing gcc3? Instead of building a new ISO image based on gcc3 what I did was:
4
5 boot rc6-r14 CD
6 do everything up to & including emerge rsync
7 modify profile to use gcc-3.0.3 and made a new ebuild for glibc which applies a patch I found on the glibc mailing list. This patch is "supposed" to fix the c++ exception problem. I doesn't patch glibc's configure so I had to do that to stop the annoying gcc3 warning/exit message.
8
9 Doing it this way, emerge system only fails on netkit-telnetd which I was able to patch.
10
11 But... something had to go wrong and passwd doesn't work. Entering passwd results in the message "passwd: Module is unknown"
12
13 I played with recomping pwdb-0.61, gcc3 is definitely stricter with ansi-c. PAM's configure script fails when it builds a test program using the pwdb_db_name() function.
14 The test program fails to link. gcc is looking for symbol yp_get_default_domain and other symbols which seem to be related to nis.
15
16 I checked libpwdb.so.0.61 with nm...
17 T pwd_db_name it is present in the text section of the lib
18 U yp_get_default_domain@@GLIBC_2.0 it's undefined.
19 U strcat@@GLIBC_2.0
20
21 I assume U means symbols undefined in this library but should exist in another, such as glibc?
22
23 Anyone have any ideas or should I just be patient for a fully gcc3 based setup.
24
25 TIA
26 scott
27 folokai@×××××××××.net